Monday, October 22, 2018

Fall Break

Oh my goodness!
This past week has been a little rough. It didn't help that I and three of our kids all had the flu at the same time. Only having one toilet to share was a problem several times. But we're all feeling better now, thank goodness!

Last week was our Fall Break. Kids didn't have school Oct 11/12 (Thur/Fri).  The kids got to do whatever they wanted on Thursday knowing that we were taking the back part of the roof off on Friday. For 2 days it was a "all man on deck" kind of day. 

On Friday the kids and I started by taking the shingles off while Kory was with clients. Due to the way our roof and house sits I had the hardest time taking a picture of what it looked like before from the ground. So unfortunatley I can't show you. 
Here's Maddie and Emily hard at work.

At mid-day when Kory came home for lunch he and hunter removed the old over build while the other kids and I kept on the shingles. There were 3 layers of shingles on the roof. So crazy! This was seriously hard physical labor!


These pictures I took in front of the house. They would step over the peak of the house, walk down the part of the roof we did a few weeks ago and then throw the material into the dump bed trailer.  


I took this picture standing in our attic. Kory and Hunter had removed 1/2 of the overhang and we still had shingles left to remove. Oh joy! You can still see the other half of the overhang on the left. That was part of our attic. This overhang was the 2nd roof put on this house. 


When the shingles were done and the roof swept we layed out new sheeting on top of the old. There were some pretty "sketchy" sheets up there. I really thought one of us may just fall through they were so bad. 

Removing the last part of the overhang.


Taking off the old overhang left a massive whole in our roof. 


Looking up from inside the house.

Once again I had a major mess inside!  


This is my bathroom!
I can hardly wait for the day that after a long days work I can climb into the shower without having to clean it first! I am so DONE with this!


Before we could finish sheeting the roof with new sheets the "cut" trusses needed to be fixed. It took several hours on Saturday to fix them but with Kory's Dad's help they got it done. 



 When the trusses were fixed Grandpa and Hunter finished laying out the new sheeting. 

When the new sheeting was layed down we began working on the "new" over build.  


We had to replace the over build because we added on that small part to the back. 
The old overhang ended at the corner seen inside the green circle. When it rained all the water went down the valley and landed on the ground right there. Well because we added that room which will be the office we needed to reroute the water and lengthen the overhang so it actually covered the whole roof like it was suppose to. So the new overhang will end inside the red circle and will allow the water run off to land once again off the house. 


This is what the new overbuild looks like from the front of the house. 


With Grandpas help 3/4 of the overhang was built but only 1/2 of it was sheeted before it got to dark and we had to call it a night. We ended up living the entire week with that huge hole in the roof.


Hurricane is obviously known for being windy! Every single day the wind blew! Everytime it blew it blew debri and dust fell down into my house from the attic. 
 I cleaned and cleaned Monday and Tuesday. By Wednesday I had had it. I was done. I just couldn't be bothered anymore!

The back of my kitchen sink just looked dirty and nasty!


My stove was covered in debri constantly!
The dresser behind my stove was also covered! That's my big pan that I make pancakes, french toast, egg in the middle of toast, etc with. I had to wash it every morning because it would look like this by the next morning.  It was so irritating!


Its hard to tell with all the stuff on it but that's my dresser! I could clean it off and then after kids got ready for school I'd have the gel, hair tyes and other stuff thrown back on top. By the next day it would be covered with dirt, insulation and sand AGAIN!


If the dirtiness wasn't enough to bother me the cold about sent me over the edge. Because we had a huge hole in our roof our house was always cold! We actually sent the three older kids to spend the night at Grandmas all week because it was so cold at night.  That thermostat reads 54 degrees! It was cold!  


The little kids were able to stay in their own bedroom. Using a space heater at night we were able to keep their bedroom over 70 degrees. They loved how warm there bedroom always was. Our master bedroom has a gas fireplace. The highest we got our room was 66 degrees. But we didn't leave the fireplace on 24/7. I would turn it on after dinner so my room would be above 60 degrees when we went to bed. When we got up it would be between 63-66 degrees. I'd turn it off, wake up my little kids and we'd go to Grandma's. At Grandma's house I'd fix breakfast, everyone would get ready for school and then I'd get everyone there. I would then come home wearing a coat and clean the dang mess the wind had caused the previous afternoon and night. I was asked to work 2 of those days at H&R Block and I jumped right on it. I did not want to be home. The other few days I spent at the grocery store, running every imaginable errand I could find and at my mom's. My house was just too cold to be in. It was so frustrating that outside it would be 70+ but inside it was usually below 60.  

Every single night this week we worked on the roof. We eventually finished building the over hang, we sheeted the over hang and then Kory hung house wrap right up against the split in the house to keep the wind out.  We finished thursday night, Oct 18th! We lived 6 days with a partial roof!

When the overbuild was sheeted it almost made it worse inside. It was like the wind would get caught underneath and it would blow even harder in the house. While taking a shower the wind would grab the shower curtain and blow it all over. It was CRAZY to see it and just made it even more cold. 

I lost my skylight in my bathroom!
I took this picture sitting on the toilet looking up.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Master Shower

People keep asking what's left on the house?  The upstairs is 100% complete. Yay!! There are 3 things left in the kitchen, 1) Back splas...