Thursday, July 5, 2018

Disapointment

Tuesday, July 3rd

Oh how the disappointment is so real today! I have been crying all morning!
We had our inspection this morning for the electrical panel. We passed! WooHoo! However, the inspector, Lance, also CRUSHED my world today. Because that back room was completely wired we also wanted him to inspect that too. He again passed us off but informed us that our windows are to high. It's code that windows can't be more than 44" off the floor. Ours is about 54". This is for fire safety. If there were a fire kids must be able to climb out of the window and firefighters must be able to climb through.

I get it, I really do. However we replaced the old high windows with new. They were already high to begin with. They didn't pass code before we even started. Lance told us that if that was all we did than it would have been fine. But since we knocked down the wall and rebuilt it...... it needs to pass today's code. OK Again I get it but please, please tell me why we weren't stopped when we had our framing inspection months ago? Because we weren't informed we continued to install 8 windows! Why weren't we stopped over the following few weeks when we had the sheeting inspection? Because then we kept moving forward. We wrapped the house getting it ready for stucco. Why weren't we told this during the first electrical inspection? Lance walked into this specific room. He passed the electrical but didn't say anything about the window. So we wired the room and now some of that wiring we will have to move! We have had one more inspection since today and again nothing was said! So many wasted hours! So many future hours that are going to be spent "re-doing" our hard work. 

I am so upset, so angry and so disappointed. I had plans this week. I wanted to get one room completely sheet rocked so I could move kids. It's been a long 7 months with 5 kids sleeping in our family room. I want my family room back! Selfish I know......  


With some more research our garage windows and family windows are fine. They can be higher up it's just in the bedrooms. It's called egress where each bedroom must have 2 ways of escape.  Lucky for us (trying to find something positive) we haven't installed the window yet with the electrical panel in its way.  Kory's decided it will be faster and save us money by replacing the 2 bedroom windows with a little bit of a bigger window. So he ordered 2 of those. It will take 3-4 weeks before they come in. We'll save these "messed up" windows and use them upstairs in the bedrooms. We'll just make sure they are low enough. 

These are the windows in our future master room. I love the height and the way they look. But they won't pass code either. Not only are they to high but the side windows only open to 15". Code says they must open to 20". Ughhhhh! Instead of replacing them, cause that wall really doesn't have the room for bigger side windows we will put a sliding window in the master bathroom over the tub. That way from the master you still have the 2 ways out. 


I know I will get over this. We will do what we have to do. But I am still so disappointed today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Master Shower

People keep asking what's left on the house?  The upstairs is 100% complete. Yay!! There are 3 things left in the kitchen, 1) Back splas...